Sunday, January 17, 2010

Prayer for Alex and James

Back in November, I took both boys to have a test called a bone age. I'm still unsure of James' results, but Alex failed his. He has only grown about 3/4 of an inch in the last year or so. My almost 3 year old son weighs 23 pounds, and is 32 3/4 inches tall. On January 7th, I took them both to see a Pediatric Endocrinologist. He asked me if any one had told me that if I just fed him right, that he would grow. I said that yes, people had said that to me. He then told me that those people are wrong. He told me that if I feed him more than I currently am, Alex will only get fat. He will not grow taller. The reason that Dr. Deeb believes this is because for his height, Alex is a perfect weight. He ordered lab work on Alex. He is and is not treating James at this point. It's easier to find a problem in a 2 year old than a 6 month old. So this past Monday, Tony and I took Alex to have the lab work done. Alex did wonderful!!! Yes, he cried. But, he didn't try to get out of my arms. He didn't scream. He just sat their and cried. James didn't cry either, for which Tony and I are thankful. They took 6 small vials from Alex. At this point that's all the news I have. I have done some research online, but at this point to speculate is pointless. I will say that if the problem is with a growth hormone, the next test will be anything but fun for me or Alex. But we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Amazingly, I'm not a basket case over this. I might get that way further down the line(especially if he has to endure the second test), but for now I'm ok. When I shared this information with my Administration Pastor on Wednesday, he stopped and prayed with me right there, and prayed that I would have the heart of Mary who knew that her Son was born to die, and yet she was calm. I know that God loves Alex more than I ever could(which has to be a lot because I love him soooo much). I know that God knows what is best for Alex. These events have made Tony and I look at our future differently. We were hoping to begin Seminary in about a year and a half, but if we leave Tony's current job, we would loose his health insurance and therefore loose the ability to take care of Alex. He would be labeled with a Pre-existing condition.

So pray with us as we face this trial in our lives. Pray that God would lead Dr. Deeb to the right diagnosis without much pain to Alex or James. Pray that healing would be possible for Alex and James. Pray that Tony and I would know the right thing to do about job/house/etc.

"But Mary took all these things and pondered them in her heart." Luke 2:19

Amanda 

2 comments:

  1. Praying for good test results for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will the testing begin and results be in? Prayin' it's all resolved soon!

    ReplyDelete

Making the old new again.

I've decided to begin writing for my blog again. I have discovered that I enjoy writing. I will be writing on a wide variety of topics....